Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Week 1 - A Slow Start, Too Much Confusion And Outcome Potential

All the Crap Leading Up to the Match

These past couple of days have been a bit of a roller coaster. Figuring out the participants, re-working the ladder, setting the line-up, re-scheduling matches, email, phone calls and playing matches have me frustrated to the point of throwing in the towel. However, I'm somewhat accustomed to these situations. If you've known me for more than 2-3 weeks it is apparent that I have a problem avoiding slights, injustices and things I consider patently wrong. I recognize I'm a magnet for the trivial. Some things just get under my skin. I'm a crap magnet. Like the kid in school who is always in the wrong place at the wrong time, I seem to be the point man on issues that have "no real good outcome potential."

This week's situation with "no real good outcome potential" actually started FANTASTIC for all concerned. (Right there I should have recognized the situation could not get any better than it was and should have either aborted or delegated. Note to self - Delegate more) "All" being those on our squad and another player interested in playing who has a skill level we could utilize at the top of our team ladder. I'll call this person "Player B." The fantastic part was that last week it was brought to my attention that Player B was interested in playing squash this season. I contacted Player B via email and a phone call to invite him onto the squad. Fortunately, I also ran into Player B. It all seemed so fortuitous. It was during this conversation that Player B agreed to play for us. We discussed the two team situation, the different team players, the lack of parity between the teams and our need for a #1 player. Pshyched Right? Not for long. The chip gets placed on the other ladder and the emails start the disassociative process.

As can be expected, I as the crap magnet take a stand against this intolerable injustice, plant my recalcitrant foot firmly upon the ground, cross my arms and clearly but tactfully (this is new for the crap magnet) without venom or histrionics state my position. Along with the sprinkling of tact, the crap magnet also concluded, earlier rather than later, the situation has a "no real good outcome potential." So, I have left it up to Player B to decide where he wants to play. The realization is that as long as we, as a team, can enjoy ourselves during the season. It doesn't really matter. If I get a response from Player B I'll let you know his decision; if I don't get a response I'm not worrrying about it and neither should you. Our team with him or without him will have a great time this year.

The Match (So Far)

The FR 3, 4, and 5 come to our house Tues night. We re-schedule 1 & 2. We get 1 win(so far) at #4. It was a bit of a blow-out, 3-0, and it ended pretty quickly. No fireworks, no problems, no rage or anger management issues. Kind of dull.
Nina played at #3 and wasn't on her game. She took the loss, 1-3, in a manner and fashion you can expect from Neens. She was pissed and it showed. Nobody likes losing, especially on our team, which is a good thing, but Nina R-E-A-L-L-Y hates to lose. Nothing broke, nothing was thrown and it appeared the dissatisfaction was channeled internally. If she plays Peter the Bearded Dwarf again later in the year, he'll be in a Sub-Terrainian World of hurt.

Speaking of hurt, Mark was lucky he was on court with an ER Doc. From my vantage point the collapse at the front of the court looked "scary bad." Fortunately, he only rolled his ankle. He took a breather, walked it off and finished the match. There were plenty of guts in the 1-3 loss and I suspect there's been plenty of ice on the ankle and fistfulls of anti-inflamatories since.

Player B is scheduled to play #1. We'll see how that whole thing turns out. And, I'm sure Jenks will get his match in as soon as he gets back from Vegas and the 1 armed bandits.

As always, comments appreciated.
Capt. Morgan (Crap Magnet)

No comments: